Re: The Power of Virtuoso Sponger Technology

Olaf Hartig wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Sunday 18 October 2009 09:37:14 Martin Hepp (UniBW) wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> So it will boil down to technology that combines (1) crawling and
>> caching rather stable data sets with (2) distributing queries and parts
>> of queries among the right SPARQL endpoints (whatever actual DB
>> technology they expose).
>>
>> You can keep a text index of the whole Web, if crawling cycles in the
>> order of magnitude of weeks are fine. For structured, linked data that
>> exposes dynamic database content, "dumb" crawling and caching will not
>> scale.
>>

> Interesting discussion!
>
> An alternative approach to query federation is the link traversal based query
> execution as implemented in the SemWeb Client Lib. The main idea of this
> approach is to look-up URIs during the query execution itself. With this
> approach you don't rely on the existence of SPARQL endpoints and -even more
> important- you don't have to know all the sources that contribute to the query
> result in advance. Plus, the results are based on the most up-to-date data you
> can get.
>
> Greetings,
> Olaf

Olaf,

SemWeb Client [1] should benefit immensely from Sponger URIs.

If the SemWeb Client enables its consuming programs to designate
traversal predicates beyond "seeAlso", even better. I say this because
of the following statement from you "how it works" section: "..look up
any URI y where the graph set includes the triple { x rdfs:seeAlso y }
and x is a URI from the triple pattern. Add retrieved graphs to the
local graph set."

Once you add custom crawl property/predicate designation, the SemWeb
Client library is basically similar to what the Sponger does inside the
Virtuoso Engine [2][3]:-)

Links:

1. http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/bizer/ng4j/semwebclient/
2. http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/dav/wiki/Main/VirtSponger