Re: Linked Data for ICD? OPCS-4?

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 20:56:42 +0100
Cc: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>, Jim McCusker <mccusker@gmail.com>, public-lod@w3.org, w3c semweb HCLS <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>, "M. Scott Marshall" <marshall@science.uva.nl>
To: John Madden <john.madden@duke.edu>
On 4 Oct 2009, at 20:31, John Madden wrote:
> Depends on what you want to do, exactly. I think interlinking some
> prevalent medical vocabularies to dbpedia entries is a wonderful
> project!

I was just looking at the statistics we have on UK hospital
episodes[1] which use ICD-10 to indicate the primary diagnosis related
to the episode. I'm intending to model the statistics using SKOVO[2].

I was hoping to locate existing Linked Data URIs for the diagnoses
that I could reuse rather than inventing our own (especially since
it's an international standard). Having extra information associated
with each of the diagnoses would be a bonus, since all I have from the
spreadsheets are the code and a preferred term (which include some
spelling mistakes from what I can see and certainly not all the
information that's available online).

Unfortunately from what I can tell the NCI Metathesaurus doesn't seem
to define URIs that are possible to construct based on the ICD-10
codes. Or it does and I haven't been able to find them. I'd be
grateful for any advice.

> Would you be interested in talking to the HCLS Terminology group (I
> chair it) about it on an upcoming Thursday morning call? I predict
> you'd get a lot of interest and support -- even help, if you like.

If the above still sounds interesting, and provided the timing works,
sure.

Cheers,

Jeni

[1]: http://www.hesonline.nhs.uk/Ease/servlet/ContentServer?siteID=1937&categoryID=203