Re: RDF Update Feeds + URI time travel on HTTP-level

On Nov 23, 2009, at 9:02 PM, Herbert Van de Sompel wrote:
> On Nov 23, 2009, at 4:59 PM, Erik Hetzner wrote:
>> At Mon, 23 Nov 2009 00:40:33 -0500,
>> Mark Baker wrote:
>>>
>>> On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 11:59 PM, Peter Ansell <ansell.peter@gmail.com
>>>
>>> You seem to have read more into my argument than was there, and
>>> created a strawman; I agree with the above.
>>>
>>> My claim is simply that all HTTP requests, no matter the headers,
>>> are
>>> requests upon the current state of the resource identified by the
>>> Request-URI, and therefore, a request for a representation of the
>>> state of "Resource X at time T" needs to be directed at the URI for
>>> "Resource X at time T", not "Resource X".
>>
>> I think this is a very compelling argument.
>
> Actually, I don't think it is.  The issue was also brought up (in a
> significantly more tentative manner) in Pete Johnston blog entry on
> eFoundations (http://efoundations.typepad.com/efoundations/2009/11/memento-and-negotiating-on-time.html
> ). Tomorrow, we will post a response that will try and show that
> "current state" issue is - as far as we can see - not quite as
> "written in stone" as suggested above in the specs that matter in
> this case, i.e. Architecture of the World Wide Web and RFC 2616.
> Both are interestingly vague about this.

Just to let you know that our response to some issues re Memento
raised here and on Pete Johnston's blog post (http://efoundations.typepad.com/efoundations/2009/11/memento-and-negotiating-on-time.html
) is now available at:

http://www.cs.odu.edu/~mln/memento/response-2009-11-24.html

We have also submitted this as an inline Comment to Pete's blog, but
Comments require approval and that has not happened yet.

Greetings

Herbert Van de Sompel

==
Herbert Van de Sompel
Digital Library Research & Prototyping
Los Alamos National Laboratory, Research Library
http://public.lanl.gov/herbertv/
tel. +1 505 667 1267