Re: RDF Update Feeds + URI time travel on HTTP-level

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 23:20:41 -0500
To: Chris Bizer <chris@bizer.de>
Cc: Georgi Kobilarov <georgi.kobilarov@gmx.de>, Michael Hausenblas <michael.hausenblas@deri.org>, Herbert Van de Sompel <hvdsomp@gmail.com>, Linked Data community <public-lod@w3.org>
Hi Chris,

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 1:07 PM, Chris Bizer <chris@bizer.de> wrote:
> Hi Michael, Georgi and all,
>
> just to complete the list of proposals, here another one from Herbert Van de
> Sompel from the Open Archives Initiative.
>
> Memento: Time Travel for the Web
> http://arxiv.org/abs/0911.1112
>
> The idea of Memento is to use HTTP content negotiation in the datetime
> dimension. By using a newly introduced X-Accept-Datetime HTTP header they
> add a temporal dimension to URIs. The result is a framework in which
> archived resources can seamlessly be reached via the URI of their original.
>
> Sounds cool to me. Anybody an opinion whether this violates general Web
> architecture somewhere?

IMO, it does.  The problem is that an HTTP request with the
Accept-Datetime header is logically targeting a different resource
than the one identified in the Request-URI.  Accept-* headers are for
negotiating the selection of resource *representations*, not
resources.  Resource selection should always be handled via
hypermedia.

Mark.