Re: Ontology Wars? Concerned

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Kjetil Kjernsmo <kjetil@kjernsmo.net> wrote:
> On Friday 20. November 2009 09:37:42 François Scharffe wrote:
>> > Eventually, this will evolve into a reference site with best practices
>> > for  each problem newcomers present, and provide a launchpad for
>> > ventures beyond what's there with minimal cost.
>>
>> Sounds like www.ontologydesignpatterns.org
>
> Ah, great! I wasn't aware of that site. However, it doesn't quite seem to
> be what I want, it seems like they are more concerned with general
> patterns, not with making suggestions about specific ontologies to use.
>
> For example, SIOC has a Role class, that could be used for AgentRole,
> Location should probably use the geonames:Feature class, etc.
>
> This Wiki doesn't make it clear to me if it is the purpose to address such
> concerns.

I would just like to agree, I think this is a very important concern.
As a new comer or even as a semi-experienced LODer how do I find the
ontology terms to suit my needs?  I find myself often posting
questions on mailing lists or the #swig IRC channel to get answers.
While this is fine if you have some patience and are already commited
to using these tools, I think there needs to be a more automated
method.  Otherwise new comers will be discouraged and turned off.

That being said, I don't have an answer.

-Kurt J