Re: Data linking to Geonames

On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 17:31 +0100, Bernard Vatant wrote:
> I would like to get updated estimation about the size of the linked
> data using geonames URIs (outside Geonames publication itself, of
> course).

libre.fm profiles include a "location" field. After filling in this
field in the edit profile form, users can use an AJAX widget to search
Geonames for that location, and link their profile to it. If they do
this, then the link is included in the (FOAF) RDFa on their profile
page.

For example:
http://alpha.libre.fm/user/tobyink

StatusNet (the software behind popular microblogging site identi.ca) is
introducing geocoding in version 0.9.x. This is planned to be based
around geonames identifiers (and probably one or two other services will
be used too). Each profile will have a location associated with it, and
each notice too. This will almost certainly be exposed in the
FOAF/RSS/SIOC outputs provided by the software.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>