Re: Need help mapping two letter country code to URI

Hi Aldo,

Note that there are multiple branches of the ISO 3166 familiy of codes.
See pages 23 and 24 of the GoodRelations Technical Report
(http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/GoodRelations-TR-final.pdf)
for a more detailed discussion. I am still not aware of any
authoritative URI schema for ISO 3166, which is why GoodRelations uses
string literals for that code.

The key ISO page http://www.iso.org/iso/country_codes.htm does also not
refer to any established http or URN URI schema for the ISO 3166 family
of codes.

I assume that dbPedia URIs may be well suited, but they are not as
authoritative. If they have ISO 3166 codes attached via properties,
entity consolidation on that basis may be relatively simple.

Below, please find an excerpt from the discussion re identifiers for
countries in the GoodRelations Technical Report:

Country or Region

GoodRelations could reuse several approaches for ontologies of regions
and places for
specifying Countries and Regions. However, we suggest a more pragmatic
approach of
reusing the ISO Standard 3166, in particular ISO 3166-1 (ISO, 2006) and
ISO 3166-2
(ISO, 1998). The first defines 2- or 3-letter identifiers for existing
countries and a few
independent geopolitical entities. ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 defines 2-letter
codes for most
countries. There exist alternative standards with 3-letter codes and a
numerical
representation. For the following reasons, we suggest using the 2-letter
codes: First, they
are well established and people are likely more familiar with them (they
are also used for
most top-level domains). Second, and more important, the 2-letter
variant is the basis for
ISO 3166-2, which breaks down the countries from ISO 3166-1 into
administrative
subdivisions (ISO, 1998). The code elements used in ISO 3166-2 consist
of “the alpha-2
code element from ISO 3166-1 followed by a separator and a further
string of up to three
alphanumeric characters e. g.” (from: http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-
services/iso3166ma/04background-on-iso-3166/iso3166-2.html).
This allows using simple string operations on the respective ISO 3166
codes in order to
handle administrative subdivisions. For example, if a certain Offering
is said to be valid
for Canada (ISO 3166-1 two-letter code “CA”), then one can infer that
any longer search
string specifying an administrative subdivision of Canada (e.g. British
Columbia, ISO
3166-2 “CA-BC”) is also an eligible region.
Examples: Canada (CA), Austria (AT), Canada: British Columbia (CA-BC),
Italy (IT),
Italy: Province of Milano (IT-MI)

Note: More complex modeling of Countries and Regions may be useful in some
scenarions, and GoodRelations can be imported and extended if necessary.
However,
most offerings on the Web contain statements on the level of countries
only, for which
ISO 3166-1 is sufficient and very common.

Martin

Aldo Bucchi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found a dataset that represents countries as two letter country
> codes: DK, FI, NO, SE, UK.
> I would like to turn these into URIs of the actual countries they represent.
>
> ( I have no idea on whether this follows an ISO standard or is just
> some private key in this system ).
>
> Any ideas on a set of candidata URIs? I would like to run a complete
> coverage test and take care I don't introduce distortion ( that is
> pretty easy by doing some heuristic tests against labels, etc ).
>
> There are some border cases that suggest this isn't ISO3166-1, but I
> am not sure yet. ( and if it were, which widely used URIs are based on
> this standard? ).
>
> Thanks!

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen

e-mail:  hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org
phone:   +49-(0)89-6004-4217
fax:     +49-(0)89-6004-4620
         http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
skype:   mfhepp
twitter: mfhepp

Webcast:
http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/webcast/

Recipe for Yahoo SearchMonkey:
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations_and_Yahoo_SearchMonkey

Talk at the Semantic Technology Conference 2009:
"Semantic Web-based E-Commerce: The GoodRelations Ontology"
http://www.slideshare.net/mhepp/semantic-webbased-ecommerce-the-goodrelations-ontology-1535287

Overview article on Semantic Universe:
http://www.semanticuniverse.com/articles-semantic-web-based-e-commerce-webmasters-get-ready.html

Project page:
http://purl.org/goodrelations/

Resources for developers:
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations

Tutorial materials:
CEC'09 2009 Tutorial: The Web of Data for E-Commerce: A Hands-on Introduction to the GoodRelations Ontology, RDFa, and Yahoo! SearchMonkey
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/Web_of_Data_for_E-Commerce_Tutorial_IEEE_CEC%2709