Re: New LOD group + CKAN in RDF

Hugh Glaser wrote:
> Hi,
> It is possibly useful to sound a bit of a warning about the link (sic)
> between Linking, Open, Data and RDF.
> So the LOD diagram captures some of this stuff, but there is plenty of other
> stuff which is in RDF to Linked Data standards, but doesn't appear because
> there are not enough links to or fro.
> Then it is not clear that all the LOD diagram can be classed as Open.
> And the idea of having a SPARQL endpoint with "all the LOD bubbles" is
> problematic (even if we wanted such a thing), since harvesting them would be
> a serious problem.
> Of course, there are partial harvests, such as the Virtuoso cloud.

To be clear, the partial harvest (as defined by Hugh) is at:
http://lod.openlinksw.com . Note, although it caches a significant chunk
of the bubbles in the LOD cloud, it also plays well with the fundamental
theme of HTTP based Linked Data, by offering outbound links based on
canonical resource URIs.

Example:

1.  http://tr.im/EyvK -- this is the URL of an HTML page that describes
entity: http://dbpedia.org/resource/Linked_Data
2.  The @href for the text following "About:" contains the canonical
DBpedia Data Space URI for said entity, so click that and you leave the
Local Data Space into the broader Web of Linked Data.

The cache we maintain is all about constructing a major Linked Data
Junction Box on the Linked Data Web, one that services Linked Data aware
apps, services, and agents. Example, our Sponger Middleware which uses
this and other Linked Data Space to generate highly traversable Linked
Data graphs "on the fly".

Anyway, have a SPARQL endpoint is a great starting point, for sure :-)

Kingsley
> Best
> Hugh
>
> On 08/11/2009 19:22, "Jonathan Gray" <jonathan.gray@okfn.org> wrote:
>

>> Hi Ying!
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 12:28 AM, ying ding <dingying@indiana.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> It is a great work.
>>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>>> for your sparql endpoint, will this support all the CKAN dataset, means all
>>> the LOD bubbles? Then how should I query. Will you provide some sparql
>>> examples in the future.
>>>
>> Yes - exactly. It would be great to have a version of the LOD diagram
>> that pointed to the relevant CKAN pages!
>>
>> There are some SPARQL examples here:
>>
>>   http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/okfn-help/2009-November/000429.html
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Jonathan
>>

>>> thanks
>>> ying

>>> --
>>> Ying Ding, Assistant Professor of Information Science
>>> School of Library & Information Science, Indiana University
>>> 1320 East 10th Street, Herman B Wells Library, LI025
>>> Bloomington, IN 47405, USA
>>>
>>> Tel: (812) 855 5388, Fax: (812) 855 6166
>>> Homepage: http://info.slis.indiana.edu/~dingying/

President & CEO