Re: Subjects & Tagging - Help?

Toby Inkster wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 18:16 +0000, Nathan wrote:
>> Hoping for a little bit of guidance here on tagging & assigning
>> subjects to content etc - I can't quite grasp how to describe what an
>> item of content is about
>
> # TIMTOWTDI
>
> # Here's a few abbreviations for starters...
>
> @prefix dct:  <http://purl.org/dc/terms/> .
> @prefix foaf: <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/> .
> @prefix rdfs: <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#> .
> @prefix skos: <http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#> .
> @prefix tags: <http://www.holygoat.co.uk/owl/redwood/0.1/tags/> .
>
> # Tags I model as being instances of both skos:Concept and tags:Tag.
> # The latter is a subclass of the former anyway, but my store doesn't
> # do inferencing.
>
> </tag/linux/#concept>
>     a skos:Concept, tags:Tag ;
>     skos:prefLabel "linux"@en ;
>     tags:name "linux"@en ;
>     rdfs:label "linux"@en .
>
> # I associate a page with each tag, for linked data goodness.
>
> </tag/linux/#concept>
>     foaf:isPrimaryTopicOf </tag/linux/> .
>
> </tag/linux/>
>     foaf:primaryTopic </tag/linux/#concept> .
>
> # I link from tags to the real-world things they describe.
>
> </tag/linux/#concept>
>     moat:localMeaning <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Linux> .
>
> # Finally, I link from pages to tags.
>
> </article/linux-rocks/>
>   dc:subject </tag/linux/#concept> ;
>   tags:taggedWithTag </tag/linux/#concept> .
>
> </article/linux-sucks/>
>   dc:subject </tag/linux/#concept> ;
>   tags:taggedWithTag </tag/linux/#concept> .
>
> # When outputting article tags in RDFa, I use:
> #
> # <a rel="dc:subject tags:taggedWithTag tag"
> #    href="/tag/linux/#concept">linux</a>
> #
> # ... which is rel=tag-compatible.
>
> # TIMTOWTDI

Thanks Toby,

Nice way of doing it and also rel=tag compatible is a good thing; I had
perused the source of your site at length but good to see what's behind
it too :)

Primary question in this scenario is why dc:subject through to local tag
then tag associated with moat:localMeaning rather than dc:subject
straight through to dbpedia resource? ...

.. as from the dc docs I gathered that "This term (dc:subject) is
intended to be used with non-literal values as defined in the DCMI
Abstract Model (http://dublincore.org/documents/abstract-model/). As of
December 2007, the DCMI Usage Board is seeking a way to express this
intention with a formal range declaration."

Also, noted that you opted for a different doc type "XHTML+RDFa
1.0+Role" in demiblog (assumed you're the core dev) any specific notes
on why you're using a customised DTD rather than XHTML+RDFa or HTML5?

Many thanks again for the input, all v much appreciated.

Nathan