Re: numeric web search (Was: URLs instead of URNs)

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 14:31:57 +0200
To: Wolfgang Orthuber <orthuber@kfo-zmk.uni-kiel.de>
CC: semantic-web <semantic-web@w3.org>, Linked Data community <public-lod@w3.org>
On 26/5/09 15:17, Wolfgang Orthuber wrote:
> Dan,
>
> in http://www.w3.org/TR/uri-clarification/ I read "An http URI is a URL"
> . So I concluded that a different http URI is a different URL (address).
> At this I assumed, that all http URIs which refer to the same address
> (case insensitive), are defined as "identical". Is this correct?

I'd rather they'd have said "URL" is a technically obsolete but common
colloquial term for http and http-like URIs. Identity of identifiers is
tricky because you have to try to distinguish between identifiers which
accidentally of transiently refer to the same thing, versus those where
it is built-in to the definition of the scheme (eg. the port 80 and
domain name canonicalisation rules).

Dan