Adding Country Specific Data

Thanks Kingsley, Hugh and Toby,

for answering my original questions re how to query for country specific
data.

As much as I like Dbpedia I wasn't sure that the URIs that I had found
were the right starting point for focusing on the towns of New Zealand.
Using Kingsley's site http://lod.openlinksw.com/fct/ via its URI Lookup
(by Label) I got to
http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/factbook/resource/New_Zealand but that
still doesn't have an easy way to link to towns etc...

As Toby pointed geonames has better linking for towns but doesn't have
Sparql interface.

The rkbexplorer sameAs service also worked well
http://www.rkbexplorer.com/sameAs/?uri=http://dbpedia.org/resource/Wellington
showing that http://dbpedia.org/resource/Wellington was the same
http://www.geonames.org/2179538/

I still have to explore the UK Ordnance Survey and Hugh's cross-references
at http://os.rkbexplorer.com/crs/ in more detail but can see that
http://dbpedia.org/resource/London gets me to
http://os.rkbexplorer.com/id/osr7000000000041428

This leads me back to Hugh's suggestion of reusing the OS ontology for New
Zealand data.

Part of the motivation behind my original query was to get a feel for what
linked data has already been published for New Zealand, what the current
gaps are, and how best to fill them.

Still got a ways to go before making concrete plans re adding data. E.g.
trying to determine what would be good data to add, what data sources are
readily available, and what viable business cases can be made to finance
publication.

For the OS ontology I found the Ordnance Survey Ontologies page at
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/ontology/ and can see that
http://os.rkbexplorer.com/id/osr7000000000041428 uses the namespaces
http://www.rkbexplorer.com/ontologies/coref# and
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/ontology/AdministrativeGeography/v2.0/AdministrativeGeography.rdf#

What would be a good starting point for understanding the Ordnance Survey
Ontologies and the cross-referencing,

Cheers,

Richard

blog: http://blog.3kbo.com