Wikipedia on your webpage

From: Terry Brooks <tabrooks@u.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 13:37:06 -0700
To: "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>
Thanks to everyone for responding to my enquiry about making a SPARQL query from client-side JavaScript.  I followed Aldo Bucchi's suggestion to look at the Virtuoso server documentation.

I have built a tutorial webpage at http://projects.ischool.washington.edu/tabrooks/dbpedia/presentationPage.htm that illustrates the use of two mime types: JSON and text/html.  I intend to use this tutorial with my undergraduate Informatics students this coming Autumn quarter.

Receiving the payload from the Virtuoso server as text/html and then targeting the desired information with XPath is particularly easy and would be my recommended method.

I was less successful in working with the mime type: 'application/sparql-results+xml'.  While I could get client-side JavaScript to recognize the payload as XML, I wasn't able to target its contents with XPath.  If anyone has an working example of unpacking a SPARQL XML object with XPath in client-side JavaScript, I would appreciate seeing it.

Thanks, Terry

Terrence Brooks
Information School
University of Washington