Re: Dereferencing a URI vs querying a SPARQL endpoint

Peter Ansell a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> If you have a dataset that is very large and highly interlinked on
> particular URI's, the DESCRIBE response may be too large to reasonably
> transmit to a user over the internet (and to expect a sparql endpoint
> to give out in one chunk). This is assuming the typical DESCRIBE
> behaviour that sparql vendors implement which picks out r ?p1 ?o
> (forward) and ?s ?p2 r (reverse) .

I do not make the assumption above. According to the SPARQL spec, "the
data [returned by a DESCRIBE query] is not prescribed by a SPARQL query,
[...] but, instead, is determined by the SPARQL query processor". This
may not be the whole lot of incoming and outgoing arcs; this is exactly
the point of DESCRIBE: let the server decide what is relevant,
especially regarding the amount of triples to be returned.

So my expectation, from a service where both dereferenceable URIs and a
SPARQL endpoint are available, that DESCRIBE <uri> would return the same
graph as dereferenceing the uri. More precisely, I think the semantics
of both queries (SPARQL: DESCRIBE <uri>/ HTTP: GET <uri> requiring rdf
data) have roughly the same.

Of course, this assumes that the whole set of data used to dereference
the uri is available through a single SPARQL endpoint, but I thought
this was one of Daniel's assumptions.

  pa