Re: DBpedia user, who are you?

Georgi Kobilarov wrote:
> Hi all,

Dear folks,

I'm Davide Palmisano, an Asemantics[1] senior researcher and I'm very
pleased to reply to Georgi's questions.
> I'm currently doing some planning for the future roadmap of DBpedia, and
> therefore gathering requirements and use cases.
>
> So I'm wondering:
> - Who is using DBpedia today or has evaluated it in the past,

Currently we are using DBPedia within two disjoint main scenarios.

the first one is related to the EU project called NoTube[2] where we are
planning to use DBpedia as a main knowledge core to build semantic web
based user profiles in order to make personalized TV content
recommendation. This is a research project mainly aimed to produce
innovative algorithm for the content discovery.

The second one, partly covered by an NDA so I cannot be more precise, is
an ambitious project that we will present to the next SemWeb09 called
99ways[3] where we are planning to make an intensive use of DBpedia. For
example, we are currently making an autocompletion service that  taking
as input a substring it returns a list of DBpedia URIs grouped by their
most representative skos:subject. The way we are calculating the most
representative skos:subject for each URI is the key point within the
overall algorithm.
> - What are you doing with it or how would you like to use it,

oops, as the precedent one :)
> - How would you like to see it evolve?

Grow, grow and grow! Jokes apart, the first real and important evolution
that comes up in my mind is partially related to the uptime and to the
scalability of the system. Improving the scalability of the SPARQL end
point backend would be the key task to allow the resolution of very
frequent and complex SPARQL queries.
> Especially interested in usage of DBpedia (and Linked Data) within
> organizations or even commercial scenarios.
>
> Please let me know, either on-list of off-list (and state in case you
> don't want that information to be disclosed).
>
> Thanks,
> Georgi

all the best,

Davide