Re: [ANN] Linking Open Data Triplification Challenge 2009

Michael Hausenblas wrote:
> All,
>
> We'd like to draw your attention to the second edition of the Linking Open
> Data Triplification Challenge, again collocated with the I-Semantics [1]
> conference.
>
> Please see http://triplify.org/Challenge/2009 for details on submission and
> prices. Note that submission deadline is 9 August 2009.
>
> With the recent uptake of structured data/RDF by major players such as
> Google the motivation for exposing relational data and other structured data
> sources on the Web entered a new stage. We encourage participants to publish
> existing structured (relational) representations, which are already backing
> most of the existing Web sites and demonstrate useful and usable
> applications on top of it.
>
> The challenge awards attractive prices (MacBook Air or 1000€, and other
> prices) to the most innovative and promising triplifications. We thank our
> sponsors Ontos AG [2] and Punkt.NetServices [3] for supporting this
> challenge.
>
> Cheers,
>        Michael (on behalf of the Organizing Committee)
>
> [1] http://www.i-semantics.at
> [2] http://www.ontos.com/
> [3] http://www.punkt.at/
>
> Cheers,
>       Michael

Micheal et. al,

Note, that it is now possible to produce a Data Source Ontology and
Instance Data from ODBC and JDBC accessible data sources using a
Virtuoso Conductor (Admin UI) hosted Wizard (I'll make a screencast very
soon to demonstrate this feature). You don't have to write a single line
of code, it's now completely automated.

The steps are simply as follows (assuming your SQL Data isn't Virtuoso
hosted i.e. external):

1. Use the Virtual Database feature to Link any ODBC or JDBC accessible
DBMS into Virtuoso
2. Go to the RDF Schema Tab
3. Select the list of tables or views that you seek to expose in RDF
Linked Data form
4. Click "Generate"
5. Answer questions presented re. deployment endpoint
6. Done!

You will end up with the following:

1. Data Source Ontology (with de-referencable URIs for Classes and
Properties) derived from the Relational Schema
2. Instance Data for the Data Source Ontology
3. Re-write rules for handling resource and resource description
disambiguation aspect of Linked Data URI de-referencing.

RDF Views still provide significant performance advantages over RDF
Stores when the source is Relational.  Also note, that you can further
finesse the generated ontology (e.g., mesh it with others) and instance
data scripts for more complex mappings.

Also, note the following about Virtuoso's RDF Views:

1. It's based on SQL for generating the data used in the RDF Views
2. it's based on SPARQL for actual graph pattern declarations.

We describe the above as being SPASQL based because the SPARQL inside
SQL is processed via the SQL processor (i.e. you can execute these
constructs via ODBC, JDBC,  or ADO.NET sessions against Virtuoso instances).

You can also use the Sponger to produce RDF Linked Data from SQL and
other HTTP accessible data sources [2][3].

Links:

1. http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/dav/wiki/Main/VOSSQL2RDF
2. http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/dav/wiki/Main/VirtSponger
3.