Re: Yet Another LOD cloud browser

Hi Sherman,
Sure; I just disagree that a browser that essentially gives a view of one
linked data portal should be promoted as a ³linked data browser².
By that definition something like http://revyu.com/ is a linked data
browser.
Long ago in what used to be called the Semantic Web world, it was thought
that collecting rdf from out there and loading it into a single store and
then writing applications over it (such as CS AKTiveSpace) constituted a
Semantic Web application.
But then some time later, but also long ago, we realised that it was only an
application using semantic web technologies, as there was no web involved.
I think we are in danger of repeating this misconception and distraction
again in the Linked Data world.
Fundamentally the data that your browser works over is a single Linked Data
site. This site may have data that has been gathered from lots of places,
and URIs that reflect those places somehow in the text, but in the end it is
a single site.
I don¹t think I can give your browser any URI I choose that resolves using
http to a typical LD document?
If not, it is not a linked data browser.

I used to have a mantra: ³Putting the Web into Semantic Web².
It now seems I need to say ³Putting the Web back into Linked Data², or even
³Putting the Web into the Web of Data².

It may be we will just have to differ on this; however I would be really
interested to know if I am alone in my view ­ any comments from others?
Best
Hugh

On 15/05/2009 23:50, "Sherman Monroe" <sdmonroe@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hugh,
>
> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Hugh Glaser <hg@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
>> I have difficulty in interpreting what you say - we are looking at the same
>> "linked data browser" page?:
>> http://ec2.monrai.com:8890/facets/
>> All I can see is a page that says: "Lookup things named "" " So the only
>> possibility of linked data browsing is to put in something with a name.
>> So I put something topical in (from this list).
>> Since I see
>>   <Station rdf:about="http://ontologi.es/rail/stations/gb/MAN">
>>     <foaf:name xml:lang="en">Manchester Piccadilly</foaf:name>
>> I try "Manchester Piccadilly" and get some response, but nothing leads me to
>> http://ontologi.es/rail/stations/gb/MAN.rdf or any of the data I find there.
>> Similarly topical from this list, I find no way of browsing
>> http://foaf.qdos.com/lastfm/people/keithalexander#me or getting to that page
>> by searching for "Keith Alexander".
>

> It appears you're right in this instance.
Unfortunately I may be right for every other URI on these domains.