Re: dbpedia wishlist

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 09:01:49 -0400
To: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>
CC: public-lod@w3.org
Toby Inkster wrote:
> The SPARQL interface is great, but it would be nice if dbpedia provided
> a few shortcuts for some simple operations which shouldn't need complex
> requests to handle. In particular, what I'd like to see would be:
>
> 1. A page that I can post a great big list of dbpedia resource URIs to
> and get back an N-Triples file containing just dbprop:redirect triples
> for any of those URLs which is a redirect. This would provide a quick
> and easy way of fixing my references to dbpedia.

Toby,

Please take a look at: http://lod.openlinksw.com/void/Dataset (DBpedia
plus most of the LOD Cloud Data Sets) or
http://dbpedia2.openlinksw.com:8895/void/Dataset (this only has DBpedia
data). Either provides drill down oriented views of the data within the
Virtuoso instance.
> 2. A request for <http://dbpedia.org/depiction/%s> should run the
> following SPARQL query (or equivalent):
>
> 	SELECT ?depiction
> 	WHERE {
> 	  <http://dbpedia.org/resource/%s>
> 	    <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/depiction>
> 	      ?depiction
> 	}
>
> If no results are found, it should return a 404, but if a result is
> found, perform a 302 redirect to the depiction found.

Yes, this is a good idea, one that we wanted to deliver via a query and
save mechanism meaning: providing URIs for popular canned queries. Now
that we can secure sparql with OAuth of FOAF+SSL these ideas are now
feasible.

btw - Not only do we want to use 404 and redirects, we also want to
provide response data indicating if the results are complete or partial.
If partial, then return enough information for setting appropriate
OFFSET and LIMITs for walking DBpedia progressively, in chunks.

> -Toby

President & CEO