Re: Yet Another LOD cloud browser

David Huynh wrote:
> Sherman,
>
> Good to see more faceted browsing work on LOD!
>
> Will you be considering showing actual data or is showing the schema
> your end goal? For example, I typed in "Microsoft", and I couldn't
> seem to get any information about Microsoft. I only saw that there are
> some other things related to Microsoft, e.g., people, but I couldn't
> see what those things are (e.g., specifically, such as Bill Gates).
> I'd like to show you what I mean but I can't seem to get a permanent
> link to the state of the app.
>
> David
>
> Sherman Monroe wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Taking inspiration from Longwell[1] and Parallax[2], I present yet
>> another linked data browser[3]. It uses the Virtuoso Facets Web
>> service API [4] and runs against the public LOD cloud instance of
>> Virtuoso [5]. I believe such faceted search UIs could be a nice
>> compromise between SPARQL and a full-blown Cypher-based NL user
>> interface[6].
>>
>> Feedback appreciated.
>>
>> Hints:
>>
>> - Click a breadcrumb at the top to navigate your query path
>> - Click "Your query" to view the filter details, click the nodes
>> there to navigate the path, click the icons there to modify the filter
>> - Click the *green plus sign button* to add a filter
>> - Click the *blue undo button* to unbound a node value
>>
>> Notes:
>>
>> I was amazed in the many instances where I got better results from
>> LOD dataspace than from Google/Technorati/Wikipedia. For example,
>> searching Monopoly, then filtering to the /umbel-sc:MentalSituations/
>> category gave me a nice (and in some cases humorous) list of Monopoly
>> knock-offs. I tried finding such a list on the WWW with no luck
>> <http://www.google.com/search?q=Monopoly%20knockoffs>. Kingsley tells
>> me that Entity Rank [4] has to do with this, but I wonder whether
>> this quality will stick as the cloud increases.

>> [2] http://mqlx.com/~david/parallax/
>> <http://mqlx.com/%7Edavid/parallax/>
>> [3] http://ec2.monrai.com:8890/facets
>> [4] http://lod.openlinksw.com/fct/facet_doc.html
>> [5] http://lod.openlinksw.com
>> [6] http://cypher.monrai.com
>>
>> Enjoy,
>>
>> --
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -sherman
>>
>> I pray that you may prosper in all things and be healthy, even as
>> your soul prospers
>> (3 John 1:2)

David,

Sherman's razrobase browser is using the REST API provided by the
Virtuoso instance at: <http://lod.openlinksw.com>, all you have to do
re. "Microsoft" is go there and type in pattern: Microsoft .

Once you do that, you will see an initial Entity Ranked page of
associated Entity URIs, text excerpts from literal values plus bars
intidicating Entity Rank and Text pattern match frequencies that drive
the ordering.  At this stage, assuming you don't already see the Entity
URI for "Microsoft) you can pivot on: Type (razorbase:Category) or
Poperties (razorbase:Information) to narrow the focus of your quest.

The difference right now is that Sherman hasn't implemented the critical
"retry" and "timeout" functionality that lie at the core of this
system,  once  this is implemented our basic UI and his should produce
similar results with the only variance that our UI resides inside
Virtuoso while Razorbase is making RESTful calls from the outside :-)

I hope this clarifies things.

President & CEO