Re: fw: Google starts supporting RDFa -- 'rich snippets'

From: Daniel O'Connor <daniel.oconnor@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 22:39:00 +0930
To: Peter Ansell <ansell.peter@gmail.com>
Cc: Chris Bizer <chris@bizer.de>, public-lod@w3.org

> It is hard to accept their goals so far since they made up a new
> vocabulary for RDFa instead of matching the FOAF support that
> SearchMonkey gives, and the URI's they provide for don't contain valid
> top level domain names when the RDFa properties are joined with the
> prefixes so it looks a little weird when you actually serialise it to
> RDF.

What it looks like to me is they started with hcard, went off, implemented
support for that, along the way discovered rdfa, thought "Neat! I bet I
could do a vcard in this!" and ended up here.

It feels like a 20% project which isn't quite up to the usual standard, and
they've given these guys a bit of free reign to play with the idea.

I'd prefer to assume innocent intentions and fumbling rather than malicious
intent.