Re: LDOW2009 Workshop now publishing Linked Data (was Re: Linked Data on the Web (LDOW2009) workshop papers online.)

Knud Hinnerk Möller wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> just to clarify: my intention is not to encourage everyone to wildly
> mint URIs in namespaces they don't control (shiver...), and neither to
> accumulate all possible conference data at data.semanticweb.org (the
> dogfood site).
>
> The point was this: _if_ you would like your data to be incorporated
> into the dogfood site, then it should have dogfood namespace URIs,
> otherwise we cannot serve it. We hope to offer people who want to
> contribute to the site some advantages, such as:
Well, the point I keep on trying to make is this: separate the quad /
triple storage from the external pointers (URIs) used to navigate the
quad/triple store. To make this happen you need triples in one box and
linked data deployment in another, but collectively served up from one
point.

You a data owner really have to use your URIs in order for their data to
be exposed via your data space in reality? Think about this for a second
in the context of the burgeoning "Linked Data Web" a place where "Data
Access by Reference" drives everything.

> - taking away the burden of RDFising your data
But the data is already in RDF. Even if it wasn't in RDF why can't you
handle the RDFization in your data space?
> - not having to worry about serving the data after you have produced it
Well I may be worried about "sweat and brow" amongst other things and
would like to be attributed via some kind of digital emblem that serves
such purposes i.e. URIs that are bound to a domain I control.
> - a stable service with a long-range commitment (as Daniel already said)
Yes, but is that worth the dislocation of the domain component of the
HTTP identifier pointing back to me?

> - data integration across events through people and organisations
> - the possibility to let the community add to the data (in the form of
> SIOC discussions)
> - a UI that, while it can always be improved, is tailored for the
> domain of its data
None of these points are incongruent with what I am stating repeatedly.
What you are really doing here is defining the solution based on the
technology choice you've made rather that looking at you technology
choice in relation to the essence of the "Linked Data Web" that it seeks
to bolster.

> If that sounds appealing, then people can avail of those services in
> the way I outlined earlier in this thread. Apart from that, I agree
> with what Giovanni says below! If people are already serving their
> data and are happy with it, then there is no need to duplicate it onto
> the dogfood site!

I assume you mean if people are already serving up their data in RDF
Linked Data form based on what you outlined above?

Kingsley
> Cheers,
> Knud
>

> On 19.03.2009, at 16:34, Giovanni Tummarello wrote:
>
>> The only reason to mint resolvable URIs is to allow fetching of a
>> description
>>
>> i'd say that minting in other's people spaces is really calling for
>> troubles and should be discouraged? one should, could, possibly put
>> "sameas" if some URI exists somewhere else.
>>
>> honestly? i dont even see the reasonw hy to copy this data on dogfood!
>> the entire point about semanti cweb is to be able to use data that's
>> distributed.
>> copying will only create wrong duplicates once you change a bit of the
>> data, e.g. correct the spelling of my last name in the page.
>>
>> if its one source, then fine, the source is changed and its indexed
>> again if it has been copied.. everybody loses, i'd say :-)
>>

>> Giovanni
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Knud Hinnerk Möller
>> <knud.moeller@deri.org> wrote:
>>> Hi again,

>>> It's an unliftable curse!

>>> ooops... [1] was supposed to point to
>>> http://data.semanticweb.org/documentation/user/faq#how_to_add
>>>
>>> You are absolutely ok to mint URIs in the dogfood namespace, as long
>>> as we
>>> manage to get the data into the site afterwards! The easiest way
>>> might be to
>>> produce the XML files as outlined in [1] (this time the link is really
>>> there! ;), but we should also manage to get it to work by adding the
>>> right
>>> triples in your RDFa. I should write up a list of triples that are
>>> necessary
>>> for the dogfood UI to make sense of the data - everything can be
>>> loaded, but
>>> not everything displays nicely at the moment.

>>> Very cool.

>>> I just asked Daniel Schwabe if he knew if we could repeat the
>>> process from
>>> last year (take EasyChair data, convert with our script) for the main
>>> conference data. Let's see what comes out of that. I don't know
>>> anything
>>> about the workshops, though. I'd say there are three possibilities
>>> at the
>>> moment (in increasing order of effort involved):
>>>
>>> 1.) If you use EasyChair, take the data from there and convert with
>>> existing
>>> script. You need access to the XML output of EasyChair, though.

President & CEO