Re: LDOW2009 Workshop now publishing Linked Data (was Re: Linked Data on the Web (LDOW2009) workshop papers online.)

Giovanni Tummarello wrote:
> The only reason to mint resolvable URIs is to allow fetching of a description
>
> i'd say that minting in other's people spaces is really calling for
> troubles and should be discouraged? one should, could, possibly put
> "sameas" if some URI exists somewhere else.

+1

I though we all collectively accepted the norm Giovanni iterates above?

Of course you can save records (triples) in a Quad / Triple store with
whatever URIs you choose, but at deployment time best you use URIs
associated with your own Data Space and then owl:sameAs to the source.
Basically, this is the pattern I wrote about when we started releasing
DBpedia, NeuroCommons, Bio2Rdf, and MBZ to EC2. In all of these cases
the de-referencable URIs exist in the instance owner's data space bound
namespace thereby localizing the de-referencing tasks.
> honestly? i dont even see the reasonw hy to copy this data on dogfood!
> the entire point about semanti cweb is to be able to use data that's
> distributed.

Yep.
> copying will only create wrong duplicates once you change a bit of the
> data, e.g. correct the spelling of my last name in the page.

Yep.
> if its one source, then fine, the source is changed and its indexed
> again if it has been copied.. everybody loses, i'd say :-)

Yes, "Data Access by Reference" is about not having to interact with
"Data by Value" which requires localization of data in order to actually
use the values :-)

Kingsley

> [...]
>>>>
>>> No sign of [1] in your mail, but I think I follow you. So am I ok to
>>> modify my script to mint URIs in the following namespace?
>>> http://data.semanticweb.org/workshop/ldow/2009/
>>>
>> ooops... [1] was supposed to point to
>> http://data.semanticweb.org/documentation/user/faq#how_to_add
>>
>> You are absolutely ok to mint URIs in the dogfood namespace, as long as we
>> manage to get the data into the site afterwards! The easiest way might be to
>> produce the XML files as outlined in [1] (this time the link is really
>> there! ;), but we should also manage to get it to work by adding the right
>> triples in your RDFa. I should write up a list of triples that are necessary
>> for the dogfood UI to make sense of the data - everything can be loaded, but
>> not everything displays nicely at the moment.

>>> Yes, good point, this would make good sense. I'll make these
>>> improvements when I have a spare moment.
>>>
>> Very cool.
>>

>>> Before I spend too long on
>>> that though, are there plans that you or anyone else knows about to
>>> RDFize the data about all WWW2009 workshops etc? Would be a shame to
>>> duplicate effort, though providing it at source does have a lot of
>>> appeal.
>>>
>> I just asked Daniel Schwabe if he knew if we could repeat the process from
>> last year (take EasyChair data, convert with our script) for the main
>> conference data. Let's see what comes out of that. I don't know anything
>> about the workshops, though. I'd say there are three possibilities at the
>> moment (in increasing order of effort involved):
>>
>> 1.) If you use EasyChair, take the data from there and convert with existing
>> script. You need access to the XML output of EasyChair, though.
>> 2.) send me the data in XML as per [1], so that I can convert it with the
>> same script.
>> 3.) generate the RDF yourself. That will probably need some iterations to
>> get it right (or I will have to make the dogfood URI more robust!)
>>

>>> Incidentally, I think there are some errors in
>>> <http://data.semanticweb.org/workshop/LDOW/2008/rdf>. AFAICR there are
>>> no hasAcronym and completeGraph properties in SWC.
>>>
>> ouch, you spotted my vocabulary hacking there... those two properties are
>> additions I came up with, which are unfortunately not yet reflected in the
>> vocabulary source online. I'll correct that asap.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Knud
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Tom.

>>> --
>>> Dr Tom Heath
>>> Researcher
>>> Platform Division
>>> Talis Information Ltd
>>> T: 0870 400 5000
>>> W: http://www.talis.com/

>> Knud Möller, MA
>> +353 - 91 - 495086
>> Smile Group: http://smile.deri.ie
>> Digital Enterprise Research Institute
>>  National University of Ireland, Galway
>> Institiúid Taighde na Fiontraíochta Digití

President & CEO