Re: LOD Instance Update re. new Data Sets Loaded.

Dan Brickley wrote:
> On 6/3/09 10:21, Yrjänä Rankka wrote:
>> Georgi Kobilarov wrote:
>>> Hi Kingsley,
>>>
>>> DESCRIBE <http://dbpedia.org/resource/London> takes 3 minutes to
>>> execute on lod.openlinksw.com ...
>>>
>> It took only a few seconds when I tried it. Takes time to warm up a pan
>> of this size, as is the case with any DBMS. As the working set
>> stabilizes in memory, results will come faster.
>
> What's the granularity of the warmup? If eg /resource/Paris hasn't
> been directly viewed, will it benefit much from general warmup of
> related resources that are mentioned in the queries for that entity?

Very likely so. Also in case of DESCRIBE
<http://dbpedia.org/resource/London> the result of ~ 13MB takes a while
to transfer as well. Though not quite 3 minutes - at least not through
the pipe I'm connected to.

Here's the explanation of how the read-ahead works straight from the
horse's mouth:

In general, looking for resources in a data set improves the working set
for that data set.  There is some locality based on load order etc.

The disk format is 8K pages, 256 pages per extent of 2MB.

It is 8 disks and 16 server processes, so disk is too narrow.  Disk
reads are in general in parallel on all disks.

The random access transfer unit is 8K but if you get two reads hitting
the same extent within a second of each other, the whole extent is read
sequentially instead of the 2^nd single page request.

So frequency of access drives bulk prefetching.  Then there is cache
maintenance policies that differ between just prefetched and actually
requested pages.  This is a tunable tradeoff between disk throughput and
cache pollution.

Virtuoso IO is clever enough.  But the fact is that running from memory
is 1000+ times faster than from disk on a random access workload and RDF
is the very essence of random access.

> cheers
>
> Dan

Yrjänä