Re: .htaccess a major bottleneck to Semantic Web adoption / Was: Re: RDFa vs RDF/XML and content negotiation

On 2009-06 -25, at 13:29, Pat Hayes wrote:

> On Jun 25, 2009, at 11:44 AM, Martin Hepp (UniBW) wrote:
>
>> Hi all:
>>
>> After about two months of helping people generate RDF/XML metadata
>> for their businesses using the GoodRelations annotator [1],
>> I have quite some evidence that the current best practices of
>> using .htaccess are a MAJOR bottleneck for the adoption of Semantic
>> Web technology.
>
> I agree, and raised this issue with the W3C TAG some time ago. It
> was apparently not taken seriously. The general consensus seemed to
> be that any normal adult should be competent to manipulate an Apache
> server.

(Was yours a deliberate sarcastic misrepresentation of the TAG's
consensus, or a genuine misunderstanding?)   The TAG has expressed
that the fact that Apache needs root intervention when it doesn't have
the right mime type set up is a serious bug.

> My own company, however, refuses to allow its employees to have
> access to .htaccess files, and I am therefore quite unable to
> conform to the current best practice from my own work situation. I
> believe that this situation is not uncommon.

So you mean you can't set up content negotiation and redirection.
But you can use foo#bar URIs like I do.

Will the company allow a mime.types file to include application/rdf+xml?

Tim