Re: ANN: The GoodRelations Annotator: How any business can get onto the Web of Data - today!

Hi Richard,
apologies for getting back to this with quite some delay.

richard.hancock@3kbo.com wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> the GoodRelations Annotator worked well. To try it out I used it to create
> and publish a semanticweb.rdf file for my embryonic business at
> http://www.3kbo.com/semanticweb.rdf.

Great!
> I'm interested in extending the links from the semanticweb.rdf to other
> things. In particular linking the BusinessEntity with people and with
> other BusinessEntitys.
>
> Initially I added the URI of my foaf file to the BusinessEntity instance
> using rdfs:seeAlso, but after reading the definition of BusinessEntity
> i.e. that it "represents the legal agent making a particular offering and
> can be a legal body or a person" I changed it to owl:sameAs.
>
> E.g.
>
> <gr:BusinessEntity rdf:ID="BusinessEntity">
>   <owl:sameAs
> rdf:resource="http://www.3kbo.com/people/richard.hancock/foaf.rdf#i"/>
> </gr:BusinessEntity>

That sounds correct.
> This makes sense for my simple case, since as a sole trader I am the
> BusinessEntity and owl:sameAs also provides an inferred link from my foaf
> file to the semanticweb.rdf.
>
> But I am also interested in describing other more complex relationships
> between a BusinessEntity (when not a person) and the people involved with
> the business (e.g. directors, CEO etc ...) and between other
> BusinessEntitys.

For clarification: BusinessEntity is basically the class of legal agents
that can offer or demand goods on markets, e.g. individuals,
corporations, etc.
> Do you now of an ontology along the lines of foaf
> (http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/) and relationship
> (http://vocab.org/relationship/) that could be used?

I think others have already replied, again just for clarification: It is
outside the scope of GoodRelations to model such relationships between
agents.
So yes, I recommend looking into foaf and others for expressing
membership of individuals in a legal organization, particular roles,
ownership, etc.

The basic conceptual structure of an offer on the Web is

a) an Agent (someone)
b) an Object or Happening (something)
c) a relationship between those two that represents the promise to
transfer a set of (property) rights on the Object to another agent if
that agent contributes a certain compensation to the agent.

See also the attached figure from a recent talk.

Again, thanks for your interest, time, and the experience report. If you
have any other suggestions, please let me know.

Best wishes

Martin

> Cheers,
>
> Richard Hancock

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen

e-mail:  mhepp@computer.org
phone:   +49-(0)89-6004-4217
fax:     +49-(0)89-6004-4620
         http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
skype:   mfhepp
twitter: mfhepp

Check out the GoodRelations vocabulary for E-Commerce on the Web of Data!

Webcast:
http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/webcast/

Talk at the Semantic Technology Conference 2009:
"Semantic Web-based E-Commerce: The GoodRelations Ontology"
http://tinyurl.com/semtech-hepp

Tool for registering your business:
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/tools/goodrelations-annotator/

Overview article on Semantic Universe:
http://tinyurl.com/goodrelations-universe

Project page and resources for developers:
http://purl.org/goodrelations/

Tutorial materials:
Tutorial at ESWC 2009: The Web of Data for E-Commerce in One Day: A Hands-on Introduction to the GoodRelations Ontology, RDFa, and Yahoo! SearchMonkey

http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations_Tutorial_ESWC2009