Re: LOD Data Sets, Licensing, and AWS

I'd like to step in here and add my 2 cents. My background in this is
that of have started a company that produced a knowledgebase
aggregation. We were a bit early to take advantage of most of the
semantic web technologies, but we definitely made use of a lot of the
early intellectual foundations.

I must agree with Kingsley that it's extremely important for the
success of the Linked Data meme that we enable an "economy of
attribution". I would argue however, that the accidental weak
attribution provided by uri's is a sad excuse for a real provenance
infrastructure- after all, a site may have to assert a triple to be
able to say it's false. Or it may need different types of attribution
for different parts of its data space. We can do better, and I don't
mean by reifying everything. It's interesting that Freebase was
brought up, because it saves an identifier and an origin with every
tuple- tying attribution (and licensing, for that matter) to globally
identified tuples makes a lot more sense that attaching to the
entities themselves; after all we want to make the entities reusable
and to not be producing superfluous sameas's just to make your
attribution economy work.

I must agree with Leigh that you really need concordance of intent the
the legal facts of licenses; you can't use copyright to protect facts.
However, gets more complicated than that. In the US, it's also not
possible to copyright collections of facts which can in fact be
copyrighted in Europe under the "Sweat of the Brow" doctrine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweat_of_the_brow

So Copyright protection (and thus licenses including GPL and CC) can
be asserted on entire dataspaces, but that protection is invalid in
the United States.

A statement of Ian Davis' caught my attention:
	"Having datasets require attribution will negate one of the linked
data web's greatest strengths: the simplicity of remixing and reusing
data."

I would argue that when data loses attribution, it becomes impossible
to judge the reliability of that data, and thus loses most of its
worth and that the lack of strong attribution is the linked data web's
greatest weakness- and that while what he says is true, it doesn't
HAVE TO be true, as the are multiple approaches to addressing
attribution that don't impact remix or reuse simplicity.

I've blogged on some of these issues at http://go-to-hellman.blogspot.com/

Eric

Eric Hellman
President, Gluejar, Inc.