Re: gimmee some data!

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 5:10 AM, Toby Inkster<tai@g5n.co.uk> wrote:

> <http://dilettantes.code4lib.org/LODThing/isbns/0002157926#book>
>  dcterms:isReferencedBy
>    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggie_Siggins> .

Thanks, changed.

> Looking forward to seeing the book covers. I wonder what other sources
> of book data we can link in?

I'm having some trouble figuring out how to tie in the book covers.
When I was initially doing the load, I thought they mapped to pretty
straightforwardly to images.  It wasn't until I actually got the data
in there (and realized that the locations I expected didn't exist
majority of the covers) that I realized the problem.

The way to access the cover images is:

http://covers.librarything.com/devkey/{devkey}/medium/isbn/{isbn}

While http://covers.librarything.com/devkey/{devkey}/medium/isbn/0760759715
(or some variant of {devkey}) is a URI, I can't help but think that
people would be a little underwhelmed to find that in a foaf:Image
along with disclaimers, licenses and instructions of use.

Dunno, any advice?

As far as other sources, there's:
http://libris.kb.se/
http://ol.dataincubator.org/
and http://id.loc.gov/authorities or http://lcsubjects.org/

The last two require an extra step (namely finding LCSH mapped to an
ISBN) -- but I'll see what I can do.

-Ross.

-Ross.