Re: PingTheSemanticWeb and Sitemaps

From: Frederick Giasson <fred@fgiasson.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 11:03:31 -0400
To: martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org
Cc: "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>
Hi Martin,

> I am sure you all agree that PingTheSemanticWeb is a key service for
> many of our applications. Unfortunately, it does currently not support
> the bulk notification for datasets for which a semantic sitemap is
> available.
>
> Since some of you maybe facing the same problem, I just put a short
> Python script on-line at
>
> http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/PTSW4Sitemaps
>
> which you can use to notify PingTheSemanticWeb of multiple files using
> a given semantic sitemap.
Nice addition, thanks!

However, as I said in the past: PTSW is kind of frozen in time for more
than a year now. Last time we put development effort on it was prior
Giovanni's work on Sitemap; so it explains this lack.

There are also a couple of know bugs that I still have to fix once I
will have some spare time (not much considering what is coming in the
next few weeks. But I really have to do it anyway; so we shall see).

The first priority will be to fix these bugs; the second one could be
some upgrade of the service (handling of sitemaps). But I think that in
mean time (and for some time), this script (or derivate of it using
other programming languages) is certainly a good way to go (and
certainly a way to show how simple web service endpoints can be enhanced
with such collateral projects :) )

Thanks and keep up the good work with GR!

Take care,

Fred