Using Entity Type and Properties to disambiguate search

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 23:48:19 -0400
To: Chris Wallace <Chris.Wallace@uwe.ac.uk>
CC: Linked Data community <public-lod@w3.org>
Chris Wallace wrote:

> [snip]
>
> - not your problem but I note that search via Sindice is rather
> disappointing  - for example
>
> http://sameas.org/html?q=Kiwi   (a general term for a flightless bird
> found in New Zealand divided into several species, but also a
> colloquial expression for a New Zealander and a Kiwifruit)

Chris,

I am curious about your experience re. pattern: Kiwi, when entered into
the Full Text Search Field of the service at: http://lod.openlinksw.com
. When I performed this test I had the option to use "Type" to filter
the collection of Entities associated with the pattern. That single step
enabled me to select "yago:BirdsOfNewZealand" and then simply ask for a
display of associated Entities.

I am particulary interested in your searches re. "New Zealand" (past and
present) as I am not convinced your initial experience with our service
truly revealed what it offered (e.g., you could even seem to find much
about the country: "New Zealand").

The essence of what we offer is the ability to  accurately "Find"
descriptions of Entities using Type and Properties across a huge corpus
of interlinked data.

President & CEO