Re: ANN: sameas.org

On 4/6/09 01:54, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
> Hugh, Ian,
>
> Great work -- simple, visually attractive, does what it says on the tin.
> A pleasure to use.

Yup! :)

> I think it would be pretty cool to make it
> <#this> owl:sameAs <U1>, <U2>, <U3>, <U4> .
>
> That way, I could add a nice triple to my FOAF file:
>
> <#cygri> owl:sameAs
> <http://sameas.org/rdf?uri=http://richard.cyganiak.de/foaf.rdf%23cygri#this>
> .
>
> (Okay, I like this mostly because of the recursive cleverness of the
> idea. In reality, an rdfs:seeAlso would probably do just fine. But isn't
> owl:sameAs sooo much sexier?)

The risk here is that sameas.org moves in role from becoming a provider
of annotations on other people's identifiers, to becoming a provider of
re-usable identifiers. If they want to go this way, that would be great,
but I'd hope to see some explicit commitment from the Southampton team
that they were confident the service (at least in frozen form) could be
maintained for some years. Sometimes even with the best will in the
world, economic, organizational and other facts mean that services can't
be maintained. Sameas.org and similar services could be really handy
(like purl.org) for use with RDF but it would be good to know how much
we can rely on URIs in the sameas.org namespace remaining usable, before
putting too much weight on them.

Hugh - this is probably early days to ask such dull questions, but have
you thought about this? Might it be possible to have the site offer
URIs, and some commitment they'll probably be around for a few years (or
somehow opensourced to collaborative maintainance if Southampton decide
not to maintain it later?).

The reason I go on about this topic first is I could see people very
easily relying on such services, and doing so for many millions of
identifiers.

Another thought: take a look at Social Graph API from Google; this might
help with people identification - http://code.google.com/apis/socialgraph/

eg. for me,
http://sameas.org/html?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fdanbri.org%2Ffoaf.rdf%23danbri&x=9&y=15
gives:

1.http://danbri.livejournal.com/data/foaf
2.http://danbri.org/foaf#danbri
3.http://danbri.org/foaf.rdf#danbri
4.http://downlode.org/Code/RDF/FOAF/foaf.rdf#danbri
5.http://downlode.org/Metadata/FOAF/foaf.rdf#danbri
6.http://my.opera.com/danbri/
7.http://my.opera.com/danbri/xml/foaf#me
8.http://my.opera.com/danbri/xml/foaf#danbri-
9.http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/dblp/resource/person/336851

vs Google's
http://socialgraph.apis.google.com/lookup?q=http%3A%2F%2Fdanbri.org%2Ffoaf.rdf%23danbri&fme=1&pretty=1&callback=

Another thought - is the whole system necessarily based on pre-loaded
data, or could sameas.org make some explorations of the Web "while you
wait"? eg. do a few searches via Yahoo BOSS or Google JSON API and parse
the results for same-as's.

Re "bad results" it's worth looking at what Google SGAPI does. They
distinguish between one sided claims vs reciprocations. If my homepage
has rel=me pointing to my youtube profile, that's one piece of evidence
they have a common owner; if the profile has similar markup pointing
back, that's even more reassuring....

cheers,

Dan

cheers,