Re: looking for an event ontology/vocabulary

Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 12:54 PM, Yves Raimond<yves.raimond@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  and so we didn't got the incentive to
>> write a better one. Among those examples, you have:
>>
>> * A score in a musical performance
>> * A musical instrument in a musical performance
>> * A piece of text in a reading
>> * A microphone in a recording
>
> A chair in the room? The door to leave? The program handed out to the
> audience? The audience? The light bulb illuminating the room? The food
> that audience ate while watching? The videotape that was being used to
> record the performance? The city in which the performance took place?

I think that's splitting hairs. If the light bulb is important to you then add it to your data. With RDF it's always pretty much up to you what you do, right? The ontology user and data publisher is as responsible for data integration as is the ontology designer. And if the data consumers thing you went too far and have too much noise in your data then you have to fix that.
And while the Event ontology doesn't state event:Factor and geo:SpatialThing to be distinct (maybe they didn't want to make such statements about other people's terms - with OWL 2 they could do this for event:factor and event:place now though) I think it's pretty obvious that you're supposed to use event:place for the city in which the performance took place (or more exactly for the venue which is in the city).

Regards,
  Simon