Re: owl:sameAs [recipe]

On Jul 28, 2009, at 6:59 AM, <bill.roberts@planet.nl> <bill.roberts@planet.nl
 > wrote:

> Alan - I agree with not creating new URIs unnecessarily, but if you
> are setting up your own knowledge base on a topic and want to add
> new information about those resources, and you want the user to be
> able to dereference the resource URI to find that information, then
> it seems to me that you pretty quickly get to the point where you
> have a decent reason to create your own URIs.

Sure, but those are URIs which are primarily used to identify the
information, not the topic of the information or the thing the
information is about. Another important principle that Alan might want
to endorse is, don't use the same URI to identify a thing and a source
of information about that thing. And don't say that one of them is
owl:sameAs the other. To paraphrase Korzybski's famous maxim, the
website is not the territory.

Pat Hayes