RE: owl:sameAs

Hi Eric

Regarding your first point - yes, your two options are equivalent and the second one is neater, so go for that.

Regarding linking to external resources, what it seems you want to do is to identify the dc:creator of the book, hence say that the creator is the person whose name was Thomas More.  You could create your own URI and if you are managing a whole bunch of data about books and authors, then there could be reasons to do that, but in general if there is a satisfactory existing URI, it is preferable to use it.  Dbpedia seems to have become the de facto standard so you could simply say:

<rdf:RDF
   xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns <https://webmail.planet.nl/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns> #"
   xmlns:dcterms="http://purl.org/dc/terms/ <https://webmail.planet.nl/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://purl.org/dc/terms/> "
   xmlns:owl="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl <https://webmail.planet.nl/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl> #">
   <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://infomotions.com/etexts/id/more-utopia-221 <https://webmail.planet.nl/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://infomotions.com/etexts/id/more-utopia-221>
">
     <owl:sameAs rdf:resource="http://dbpedia.org/resource/ <https://webmail.planet.nl/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://dbpedia.org/resource/>
Utopia_(book)" />
     <dcterms:creator rdf:resource="http://dbpedia.org/resource/Thomas_More" />
     <dcterms:subject>people</dcterms:subject>
     <dcterms:subject>pleasure</dcterms:subject>
   </rdf:Description>
</rdf:RDF>

If you want to go further and say that the person with that URI has name "More, Thomas" then you can add that as an additional triple with http://dbpedia.org/resource/Thomas_More as the subject, perhaps using the FOAF vocabulary.

Because owl:sameAs is used for saying that two URIs label the same thing, then you can't use it with literals.

When it comes to the subjects, I expect that finding good, unambiguous URIs for concepts like 'people' or 'pleasure' is a bit more difficult. Perhaps other readers of the list might know about useful existing tagging/classification schemes you could use.

I hope I'm understanding your problem correctly and hope these suggestions are helpful.

Regards

Bill Roberts