Re: Excellent News for LOD: Yahoo Provides Tool for RDFa+GoodRelations for Site Owners

Hi Seth:

>Well at first blush this is good news.  But then why do we want to use
>a  vocabulary like product:listPrice which is locked to a specific
>yahoo domain: http://search.yahoo.com/searchmonkey/product/ ?  Is
>Google going to come along with another different word for that?  Then
>which one does a catalog owner choose?

Note that the Yahoo "product" vocabulary is a legacy from earlier
vocabularies. You can use pure GoodRelations for 99% iof the current
usages of that vocabulary and it will be equally honored by
SearchMonkey, afaik. Make sure you click on the "RDFa + GoodRelations"
tab at

http://developer.search.yahoo.com/help/objects/product

So you can also use

      <!-- Two price specifications: a list price and a sale price -->

etc.

I will publish a more complete example at

http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations_Examples

shortly.

>  Is
>Google going to come along with another different word for that?  Then
>which one does a catalog owner choose?

I am currently in contact with Google and trying to communicate the
advantages of using standard vocabularies for meta-data, and I think
there are strong arguments.

Also note that it is fairly easy to transform any Google-specific
mark-up into standardized GoodRelations mark-up, and that several
related tools are in the making.

Best
Martin