Re: another content negotiation question

Juan --

On Jul 15, 2009, at 09:43 AM, Juan Sequeda wrote:

> and the objective is not to start another long philosophical
> thread :P and it may be a very dumb question
>
> What are the drawbacks of this simple solution.
>
> in PHP for example:
>
> if($_SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT'] == "application/rdf+xml" ){
>     header('Content-type: application/rdf+xml');
>     echo "......."
> }
> else{
>     echo "...."
> }
>
> I did this at http://www.juansequeda.com/id/
>
> However, there is a difference when it is /id and /id/. When I
> dereference http://www.juansequeda.com/id I get a 301 (Moved
> Permanently) but with http://www.juansequeda.com/id/ I get 200 (and
> everything validated by Vapour!).
>
> As this ever been discussed? I can obviously see the drawback of
> having /id/ vs /id .

I think that's not a content negotiation issue, but rather a resource
specification issue.

/id/ is a directory, and you're actually asking for the Directory Index.
The specific resource will typically be something like /id/index.html,
and be determined by the server.

/id is a specific resource -- though some servers may rewrite it to
/id/ if there is such a directory and no such resource -- as yours
appears to be doing.

Or have I misunderstood?

Ted