Re: .htaccess a major bottleneck to Semantic Web adoption / Was: Re: RDFa vs RDF/XML and content negotiation

On Wed, 2009-07-08 at 15:13 +0100, Mark Birbeck wrote:
> The original point of this thread seemed to me to be saying that if
> .htaccess is the key to the semantic web, then it's never going to
> happen.

It simply isn't the key to the semantic web though.

.htaccess is a simple way to configure Apache to do interesting things.
It happens to give you a lot of power in deciding how requests for URLs
should be translated into responses of data. If you have hosting which
allows you such advanced control over your settings, and you can create
nicer URLs, then by all means do so - and not just for RDF, but for all
your URLs. It's a Good Thing to do, and in my opinion, worth switching
hosts to achieve.

But all that isn't necessary to publish linked data. If you own
example.com, you can upload foaf.rdf and give yourself a URI like:

 <http://example.com/foaf.rdf#alice>

(Or foaf.ttl, foaf.xhtml, whatever.)

No, that's not as elegant as <http://example.com/alice> with a
connection negotiated 303 redirect to representations in various
formats, but it does work, and it won't break anything.

Let's not blow this all out of proportion.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>