Re: Content Negotiation and HTTP 303 Redirect Code Samples

Tom Heath wrote:
> Hi Kingsley,
>
> 2009/7/6 Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>:
>
>> Tom Heath wrote:
>>
>>> Great work Juan, thanks. The community owes you a beer or ten :)

>>> Hi Kingsley,

>>> Thanks. Juan did the work, I just greased the wheels :)

>>> If someone wants to write a language-neutral guide to using these code
>>> snippets that would be great, and would make a good entry in the
>>> Guides and Tutorials section. Until then I'll leave the code samples
>>> under Tools, as putting them under Guides without the guide bit would
>>> probably only make the situation worse.
>>>

>> Okay, lets try: Linked Data Deployment utlilities or scripts.
>>
>> We are both seeking clarity.
>>

> No argument there! :)
>
> The line above ("Linked Data Deployment utlilities or scripts"), is
> this a suggestion for a new name for the
> "conneg-303-redirect-code-samples" node?
>
> If so then I think this fails the Ronseal [a] test. If could just as
> easily refer to a shell script to post static file to a Web server.
> Lets keep things specific for now. Either way, I'm not sure
> "information architecture by mailing list" is fair on other list
> members.
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Does_exactly_what_it_says_on_the_tin

Tom,

I don't really want to open up a can of worms here, but are you saying
that <http://linkeddata.org> in general actually passes the
aforementioned test?

At the end of the day, you own the domain, so you can apply what ever
subjectivity you desire. In actual fact, here is a classic example of
what the "Linked Data meme" fundamentally addresses: the ability to deal
with the subjectivity inherent to all information produced by humans.

Here is what I've set up on <http://del.icio.us/kidehen> which is just
another data space on the Web that is easily RDFized etc:

1. http://delicious.com/kidehen/linked_data_utils - bookmarks that
address what I seek re. clarity based on my "world view"

Kingsley

>> Inadvertently conflating PHP scripts, Apache etc.. with the generic concept
>> of "Linked Data Deployment" simply doesn't solve anything, really.

>>> Is this actually the case? I would assume that the majority of the
>>> code is reusable as-is on other web servers that support the language
>>> in question, with just a small amount of porting required to adapt the
>>> .htaccess specifics.
>>>

>> As you've stated: "..with just a small amount of porting required to adapt
>> the .htaccess specifics." which implies inadvertent conflation.
>>

> I don't understand what the beef is here. Surely a note to the effect
> that "some code samples describe deployment in an Apache environment
> but may be applicable to other Web servers" would be adequate.
>

>> Since these scripts are fundamentally about dealing with ".htaccess" simply
>> make this crystal clear.
>>

> Fundamentally these scripts are dealing with content negotiation and
> HTTP redirects. The thread may have emerged in response to .htaccess
> recipes, but the principles are largely generic.

>>> Yes, this would be good. I'll find a moment to explore the RDF modules
>>> for Drupal and take appropriate actions.
>>>

>> Okay, assuming you can't do this by hand short-term.
>>

> Afraid not, got far too much on to start hacking this by hand.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom.

President & CEO