Re: tutorial on Music and the Web of Data

Kurt J wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Along with Yves Raimond, George Fazekas, and Michael Smethurst I have
> been charged with providing a tutorial on music and semantic web
> technologies for ISMIR 2009 conference in Japan [1].  ISMIR
> (International Society of Music Information Retrieval) deals with a
> broad range of topics in music informatics (audio analysis, music
> recommendation, etc) and the audience is generally very technology and
> Web literate.
>
> We want to show the importance of Linked Data to the future of music
> informatics research and provide some concrete examples of what can
> already be done (let's say some nice music "meshups")
>
> We've launched a website which will contain all tutorial materials
> [2].  If you have any suggestions for materials to include you can
> comment on that site or on this thread.  Looking forward to hearing
> your ideas!
>
> -kurt j
>
> [1] http://ismir2009.ismir.net/
>
> [2] http://ismir2009.dbtune.org/

Kurt,

Great stuff!

Note, I really think we need to do away with the "Web of Data" moniker.
We've had Data on the Web since inception, so we can't use what has
always existed as the basis for introducing something new :-)

Ironically, the same even applies to "Semantic Web" moniker. The Web has
been Semantic since inception, the only issue was that scope of the
Semantics. Initially it was presentation oriented (HTML) and then
document structure oriented (XML).

What's actually new, is a "Web of Linked Data" since RDF gives us a Data
Model and associated markup languages that enable Semantics scoped to
the data level (i.e., structured data). In addition, the Linked Data
meme solves the problem of implicitly associating a data item with its
metadata via an HTTP based Identifier (aka. HTTP URI).

All:
If we want to communicate outside our community, effectively, we need to
really invest a little more time in how we tell the story.  Misnomers
like "Web of Data" and "Semantic Web" simply confuse people, and I think
the track record speaks for itself re. the 10 +yr. march towards "Linked
Data Web" message coherence and comprehension etc.. :-)

BTW - I've used "Web of Data", "Data Web", and "Semantic Web" in the
past, so I am not immune to the messaging snafus that I gripe about
above. The key thing here is this: lets commit to message construction
"agility" combined with perpetual reassessment messages, relative to
target audience.

President & CEO