Re: studies about LD visibility

Dear Sam,

It is not possible to bypass LOD.

Unfortunately the lack of knowledge about LOD, SW and even seemingly unrelated technologies like cloud computing and content management systems make building useful applications cumbersome even for academically trained professionals.

Again, there are no easy shortcuts.

To lower the thresholds, we may need to expand on how data should be made available.

In my humble opinion, it seems that creating online digital repository interfaces where users can readily input data, which gets processed, will be necessary.

Most individual researchers, institutes and NGOs lack the expertise and, even more importantly resources to develop the basic SW infrastructure.

You mention the creation of localfoodsystems.org which is directly related to our own project Intelligent Design Modular Farming, see http://www.paradiso-fp7.eu/contributions.

To achieve building the accompanying web site, and have it be semantic web enabled we have to create multiple language interfaces and build probably a lot from scratch, with the notable exception of the FAO AGROVOC Concept Server.

Along the way most LOD users will have to endure investigating more technologies and software than they will care for, first to understand the underlying principles of SW and then actually to make it work.

Often the only way forward is to find researchers, institutes and NGOs that have goals, objectives in common to build what needs to be built, frequently from scratch.

It would be useful to have a semantic web portal, with documentation, standards, references, publications, conferences, education and outreach materials, tutorials, application and vendor directories and case studies for beginners.

Our organization is planning to build one specifically for sustainable development, and more in particular for modular farming.

In the definition and planning process we have met with obstacles we did not even conceive of and have found that networking is the only practical way..

There is no getting around LOD, but there is no getting around networking either to avoid getting stuck in figuring out how to make LOD and SW work in your particular area of interest, expertise or (applied) research.

This is of particular importance because the availability of information on how to structure knowledge in specific domains of discourse, or simply areas of interest or focus (less structured) in any field is lacking for most of human knowledge.

As with any other endeavor, lowering thresholds requires information, education and outreach.

Milton Ponson
GSM: +297 747 8280
Rainbow Warriors Core Foundation
PO Box 1154, Oranjestad
Aruba, Dutch Caribbean
www.rainbowwarriors.net
Project Paradigm: A structured approach to bringing the tools for sustainable development to all stakeholders worldwide
www.projectparadigm.info
NGO-Opensource: Creating ICT tools for NGOs worldwide for Project Paradigm
www.ngo-opensource.org
MetaPortal: providing online access to web sites and repositories of data and information for sustainable development
www.metaportal.info
SemanticWebSoftware, part of NGO-Opensource to enable SW technologies in the Metaportal project
www.semanticwebsoftware.info