Re: Server Side Faceted Browsing: Unlimited Data in Interactive Time Demo

Hey Kingsley,

this is a great demo, thank you! The performance is quite impressive.
However, adding new properties for faceted filtering needs getting used
to from the usability point of view :-).
This leads me to my question:
Is there a way to access your server and its faceted Data Explorer back
end functionality by a public Web-service?
Because we are working in the field of HCI and developing graphical
interface for graph-based faceted exploration of RDF data (see
www.gFacet.org). So it would be quite interesting to have such a
high-performance backend!

By the way, I tried to write a comment to the related article in your
blog but it didn't work out! I got a message that said my comment need
to be reviewed but it never appeared as comment in the blog. Did you
receive my comment?

I look forward for your reply.

Best regards, Philipp

Kingsley Idehen schrieb:

> All,
>
> Here is the first salvo of what we've been hinting about re. server
> side faceted browsing over Unlimited Data within configurable
> Interactive Time-frames:
> http://b3s.openlinksw.com/fct/facet.vsp
>
> Simple example:
>
> Enter search pattern: Microsoft
>
> You will get the usual result from a full text pattern search.
> Click on properties within Navigation section to filter the results
> such that you can see the property collection associated with the
> entity collection associated with the text search pattern ordered by
> count in descending order.
>
> Use "Next" link to page through the properties.
>
> Locate a property of interest and click to select (which just adds it
> to the query pattern assembled at the top left of the screen). Repeat
> using another property for further filtering.
>
> Click on the URI of the entities revealed by you actions.
>
> Addition information:
>
> This is the Billion Triples linked data corpus.
> This is a teaser / precursor to the LOD variant of Virtuoso 6.0 built
> to show how a real problem (faceted browsing across large data sets
> within interactive processing windows) is addressed using Virtuoso.
> The browser is simply using a Virtuoso PL function that also exists in
> Web Service form.
>

> Expect additional information via blog posts etc.
>
> Enjoy!

Philipp Heim @ INTERACTIVE SYSTEMS AND INTERACTION DESIGN
University of Duisburg-Essen (Campus Duisburg)
Lotharstrasse 65  .  Room LF 285 (Building LF)  .  D-47057 Duisburg
Tel.: +49 (203) 379-1415  .  Fax: +49 (203) 379-3557
E: heim@interactivesystems.info  .  http://www.interactivesystems.info