Re: owl:sameAs links from OpenCyc to WordNet

Hi Blake,

Blake Shepard wrote:
> There seems to be a consensus that the RDF/OWL representation of WordNet
> 2.0 (as described at http://www.w3.org/TR/wordnet-rdf/ ) is not a
> representation of the world at large but is rather a representation of a
> language-level system that in turn represents the world at large.  In
> light of that, and based on some of the suggestions that have surfaced
> in the course of this thread, I've discussed some options with David
> Baxter here at Cycorp.  In my mind, those discussions have led to the
> proposal I describe below.

Good summary; +1.

> In OpenCyc (in accord with Hugh's suggestion) include entities that
> correspond directly with RDF WordNet Synset resources, and publish
> owl:sameAs links between these entities and RDF WordNet resources, as
> appropriate.   Also publish links from ordinary Cyc entities to the RDF
> Wordnet resources using rdfs:seeAlso (in accord with suggestions from
> Fred and Matthias).  Finally, publish links between the OpenCyc entities
> that correspond directly with RDF WordNet Synset resources and the
> corresponding RDF WordNet Synset resources with a new property defined
> in Cyc, openCyc:synsetDenotes. "FOO openCyc:synsetDenotes BAR" will mean
> that FOO is a synset that denotes the entity BAR.
>
>  For example, for the case of
> <http://www.w3.org/2006/03/wn/wn20/instances/synset-India-noun-1>, we
> would introduce an Cyc term to denote that object,
> <http://sw.opencyc.org/2008/06/10/concept/en
> <http://sw.opencyc.org/2008/06/10/concept/en/India>/wn-20-synset-India-noun-1
> <http://www.w3.org/2006/03/wn/wn20/instances/synset-India-noun-1>>.  We
> would then publish the following links:
>
> (1)
> "<http://sw.opencyc.org/2008/06/10/concept/en
> <http://sw.opencyc.org/2008/06/10/concept/en/India>/wn-20-synset-India-noun-1
> <http://www.w3.org/2006/03/wn/wn20/instances/synset-India-noun-1>>
> openCyc:synsetDenotes <http://sw.opencyc.org/2008/06/10/concept/en/India>"
> (meaning that the NounSynset for the first sense form of "India" denotes
> India)
>
> (2)
> "<http://sw.opencyc.org/2008/06/10/concept/en
> <http://sw.opencyc.org/2008/06/10/concept/en/India>/wn-20-synset-India-noun-1
> <http://www.w3.org/2006/03/wn/wn20/instances/synset-India-noun-1>>
> owl:sameAs
> <http://www.w3.org/2006/03/wn/wn20/instances/synset-India-noun-1>".
>
> (3)
> "<http://sw.opencyc.org/2008/06/10/concept/en/India> rdfs:seeAlso
> <http://www.w3.org/2006/03/wn/wn20/instances/synset-India-noun-1>".
>
> By including rdfs:seeAlso links, we will accomodate the existing
> technologies that seek out and leverage such links.
>
> By including owl:sameAs links, we will accomodate the existing
> technologies that seek out and leverage those links.
>
> By including openCyc:synsetDenotes links, we will make it clear that the
> synset entities in the WordNet ontology are at least quasi-linguistic
> things which can mean or signify (denote) the "world at large" objects
> described by the OpenCyc ontology.
>
> I'd very much appreciate hearing about any red flags this proposal
> raises for anyone.  I also thank all of you for your input in helping us
> to arrive at what seems like a principled and workable approach.

Wow, this does sound like a bit of work, but it also is very
responsive and shows a commitment by OpenCyc to continue to play
a central role in linked data going forward.

You have our full-fledged support for this or similar, after your
review and input is complete. If we can help in any way making
this proposal actionable, just holler.

Mike