Re: MusicBrainzRe: : Where is the linkage?

On 19/2/09 00:14, Robert Kaye wrote:

> On Feb 17, 2009, at 1:02 PM, Dan Brickley wrote:
>

>> Robert - do you have any plans for "perma-link"-style per artist, per
>> album etc. pages at MusicBrainz, which might become canonical
>> reference URLs for the things they describe?
>
> Yes, we've had those for a while -- here is a user friendly way to copy
> those:
>
> http://musicbrainz.org/show/permlink.html?id=8f6bd1e4-fbe1-4f50-aa9b-94c450ec0f11&type=artist
>

> In essence its
>
> http://musicbrainz.org/<entity>/mbid.html
>
> right now. After the next release the .html will be optional and any
> pages that refer to the .html version will be redirected to the
> .html-less version.
>
>> (ie. with nice stable URLs). If so, could you be persuaded to include
>> RDFa markup inline in the HTML pages, so the content could be
>> machine-readable too?
>
> Yes, I think so. Especially if someone else who understands RDF better
> than I do (the RDF spec burnt me as a little child!) could help out with
> this.

Great! Hope the burn heals eventually. I'm sure folk can help out with
the RDFa templating. There is probably a lot in common with the new BBC
Music site too, at least in the portion of their content that is MB-based.

So, here is your Portishead page:
http://musicbrainz.org/artist/8f6bd1e4-fbe1-4f50-aa9b-94c450ec0f11.html

Here is the new BBC one:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/8f6bd1e4-fbe1-4f50-aa9b-94c450ec0f11
...and the RDF/XML view:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/8f6bd1e4-fbe1-4f50-aa9b-94c450ec0f11.rdf

Seems the BBC page doesn't do the album-tracks-singles stuff, so can't
copy that. I suspect Yves has done all this work already though...

Possible little issue I can see -

  * "8 relationships not shown. View all relationships …" goes to a new
page.

...this could introduce a mismatch between human and machine views, if
there is stuff desirable in the machine page but which would make it too
verbose for machines. But having RDFa in several pages isn't a bad idea,
the relationships page is interesting -
http://musicbrainz.org/show/artist/relationships.html?artistid=65 ... as
it points off to members of the group,
http://musicbrainz.org/show/artist/?artistid=236139 ... so a nice webby
structure there.

Do you plan to stick with "view all relationships" as a separate link?
versus perhaps hiding with CSS/.js in the default view?

>> Yves too, any thoughts on best way forward?
>

> Yves: As you may know, we've been working on re-writing mb_server, so if
> you look at this, please make sure you look at the current
> TemplateToolkit work.

This is where I leave the hard stuff to Yves :)

cheers,

Dan

--
http://danbri.org/