Re: Semantic Web pneumonia and the Linked Data flu

On 2/9/09 10:42 AM, Juan Sequeda wrote:

>>         Well you've just made my point re. Cognitive Dissonance :-(
>>

>>     I don't agree. I am clearly stating a problem, and the paths
>>     needed for it to be solved. How am I contradicting myself?
>     Read the question posed. I didn't ask you if there where any
>     solutions that you found palatable. I asked if any solutions
>     existed at all.
>

> I agree, I misread. there are.
>

>>     Ok.. I believe I see where the confusion is. Of course virtuoso
>>     and d2r server publish RDF linked data, etc. What I mean is that
>>     it does not happen in an automatic fashion. That is needed! At
>>     least for all my web developer colleagues who will never invest
>>     time in learning about virtuoso and d2r server.
>     You don't know that Virtuoso automates the production of "Data
>     Source" ontologies, instance data, plus deployment of RDF Linked
>     Data. And because you don't know it doesn't exist, right?
>

> You are telling my the Virtuoso already has developed the necessary
> linking algorithms to automatically link RDF that comes from rdbms? If
> so, then we should all be running Virtuoso and the problem is solved!
No, you should run Virtuoso if it works for you. If you are competing
with Virtuoso, then make something better, net effect: constructive
competition. I don't advocate monoculture (in any form), I prefer
constructive competition and any antithesis of: innovation by committee.

I can stand time wasting, and NIH is about time wasting ultimately.

I try no to preach to choirs, and certainly don't like explaining to
parents: How to make babies.

Kingsley