Re: Semantic Web pneumonia and the Linked Data flu

I'm afraid you cannot do this "in an automatic fashion" without
knowing what to expose as RDF actually.

For me there are three poeple with real clear incentives:
1. news corps and those bigger publishers who already have their
developers or can pay some to do that mapping (BBC)
2. research orgs, NPOs, NGOs, also GOs which publish public data
(EuroStat, US census)
3. nerds like us ;-)

But any other people like bloggers, etc. will have to wait until the
nerds have created CMS with RDF built-in (e.g. Drupal), but they won't
be able to expose data they already have in RDBMS without us nerds.

regards,
Andy

On Feb 9, 2009, at 4:30 PM, Juan Sequeda wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com
> > wrote:
> On 2/9/09 10:12 AM, Juan Sequeda wrote:
>>

>> Do you know any solutions that produce RDF Linked Data from RDBMS
>> sources? Any that exist right now and can deliver such capability
>> across any ODBC or JDBC accessible DBMS? What about such a thing
>> even going as far as providing working examples for every major
>> DBMS engine?
>>
>> Not yet... unfortunately. There are still open research problems:
>> ontology matching, linking algorithms. All of this is needed to
>> have such a system.
>>

>> At what time in the future do you expect such a product to emerge?
>>
>> When such a system exist, is when we can say that everybody is on
>> the semantic web. Time... how about by the time I finish my PhD. :P
>>
> Well you've just made my point re. Cognitive Dissonance :-(
>
> I don't agree. I am clearly stating a problem, and the paths needed
> for it to be solved. How am I contradicting myself?
>
> Ok.. I believe I see where the confusion is. Of course virtuoso and
> d2r server publish RDF linked data, etc. What I mean is that it does
> not happen in an automatic fashion. That is needed! At least for all
> my web developer colleagues who will never invest time in learning
> about virtuoso and d2r server.
>

> Kingsley
>

> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Kingsley Idehen	      Weblog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen
> President & CEO
> OpenLink Software     Web: http://www.openlinksw.com

http://www.langegger.at
Dipl.-Ing.(FH) Andreas Langegger
Institute for Applied Knowledge Processing
Johannes Kepler University Linz
A-4040 Linz, Altenberger Straße 69