Re: Semantic Web pneumonia and the Linked Data flu

On 2/9/09 10:30 AM, Juan Sequeda wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Kingsley Idehen
> <kidehen@openlinksw.com <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 2/9/09 10:12 AM, Juan Sequeda wrote:
>>

>>         Do you know any solutions that produce RDF Linked Data from
>>         RDBMS sources? Any that exist right now and can deliver such
>>         capability across any ODBC or JDBC accessible DBMS? What
>>         about such a thing even going as far as providing working
>>         examples for every major DBMS engine?
>>

>>     Not yet... unfortunately. There are still open research problems:
>>     ontology matching, linking algorithms. All of this is needed to
>>     have such a system.
>>

>>         At what time in the future do you expect such a product to
>>         emerge?
>>

>>     When such a system exist, is when we can say that everybody is on
>>     the semantic web. Time... how about by the time I finish my PhD. :P
>>

>     Well you've just made my point re. Cognitive Dissonance :-(
>

> I don't agree. I am clearly stating a problem, and the paths needed
> for it to be solved. How am I contradicting myself?
Read the question posed. I didn't ask you if there where any solutions
that you found palatable. I asked if any solutions existed at all.

> Ok.. I believe I see where the confusion is. Of course virtuoso and
> d2r server publish RDF linked data, etc. What I mean is that it does
> not happen in an automatic fashion. That is needed! At least for all
> my web developer colleagues who will never invest time in learning
> about virtuoso and d2r server.
You don't know that Virtuoso automates the production of "Data Source"
ontologies, instance data, plus deployment of RDF Linked Data. And
because you don't know it doesn't exist, right?

Kingsley

>     Kingsley
>

>     --
>

>     Regards,