Re: Semantic Web pneumonia and the Linked Data flu

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 8:56 AM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>wrote:

> On 2/9/09 9:13 AM, Georgi Kobilarov wrote:
>
>> This is a point I have always brought up... it is hard! It is hard to
>> produce LD and hard to consume LD. No sane person will want to do maintain
>> this. Yves just explained everything he goes through and it is wayyy to
>> much! The majority of the data on the web is stored in rdbms. Therefore,
>> IMO, it is crucial to develop automatic ways of creating RDF from relational
>> data and linking it automatically. If this is not going to happen, the whole
>> web that runs on rdbms, will not have an incentive to create LD. This is my
>> futuristic position.
>>

> Do you know any solutions that produce RDF Linked Data from RDBMS sources?
> Any that exist right now and can deliver such capability across any ODBC or
> JDBC accessible DBMS? What about such a thing even going as far as providing
> working examples for every major DBMS engine?

Not yet... unfortunately. There are still open research problems: ontology
matching, linking algorithms. All of this is needed to have such a system.

> At what time in the future do you expect such a product to emerge?

When such a system exist, is when we can say that everybody is on the
semantic web. Time... how about by the time I finish my PhD. :P