Re: Semantic Web pneumonia and the Linked Data flu (was: Can we lower the LD entry cost please (part 1)?)

Hi Yves,

On Feb 9, 2009, at 11:40 AM, Yves Raimond wrote:
> the beginning! If someone really wants a smallish search engine on top
> of some dataset, wrapping a SPARQL query, or a call to the web service
> that the dataset wraps should be enough. I don't see how the data

+1 ...however, as long as standard SPARQL has no fulltext search and
aggregates, this might not always be possible.
If you want to fetch more detailed statistics (what I can do with
RDFStats), you really need count(*) at least if you want to do it
remotely!

> publisher is required for achieving that aim. The same thing holds for
> voiD and other technologies. Detailed statistics are available on most
> dataset homepages, which (I think) provides enough data to write a
> good enough voiD description.

it would be nice to create some remote voiD buttler service for those
who don't want to spend too mutch time to create their own
descriptions. THe void buttler will try to find out as many
information as possible remotely. Many things could actually be done
remotely (e.g. finding dc:subject/skos:subject terms), the remaining
information could be entered by the publisher in some form inputs.

> To sum up, I am just increasingly concerned that we are building
> requirements on top of requirements for the sake of lowering a  "LD
> entry cost", whereas I have the feeling that this cost is really
> higher and higher... And all that doesn't make the data more linked
> :-)

I still very much like the idea of LOD, I like the projects happening
and people being enthusiastic. But it is driven by people who like to
do this, who like to sit down and setup tools, etc. So, for the broad
to adopt, it must be as easy as possible and I think Yves raised an
important point.

AndyL

> Cheers!

http://www.langegger.at
Dipl.-Ing.(FH) Andreas Langegger
Institute for Applied Knowledge Processing
Johannes Kepler University Linz
A-4040 Linz, Altenberger Straße 69