Re: Can we lower the LD entry cost please (part 1)?

Many thanks for all the stimulating response to brighten up this dreary
Saturday and help me to avoid the things I really have to do.
A digest of some of my further responses (so it is easy to ignore me all at
once if you want!):

On 07/02/2009 15:02, "Andraz Tori" <andraz@zemanta.com> wrote:
> Hi Hugh,
Hi.

> I think you are mixing two completely different goals.
>
> Why can't one set of people provide the data while the other set of
> people provide search technologies over that data?
They could, but I don't see it happening.
SEP ( http://dbpedia.org/resource/Somebody_Else%27s_Problem ) seems to apply
strongly here.

> It takes two completely different technologies, processes, etc.
>
> BTW: an easy way to search is also to write meaningful sentence  or
> paragraph (using the phrase/entity/concept) and put it into Zemanta or
> Calais. You will usually get properly disambiguated URIs back.
I have tried to find URIs for Tim_Berners-Lee (and Semantic Web and Reuters)
at http://www.opencalais.com/ but failed - am I looking at the wrong URI? -
it is the one given in the esw web page.
Could you talk me through the process?
And I can't even find anywhere to "put it into Zemanta".
I tried the demo page, even though that was not the obvious place to go, but
it still didn't lead me to a tbl URI as far as I can tell.
Again, can you walk me through the process you mean please?

> bye
Best

On 07/02/2009 15:18, "Yves Raimond" <yves.raimond@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello!
Hello!

> Just typing "telemann musicbrainz" in Google led me directly to:
> http://musicbrainz.org/artist/8f831f50-e409-47c3-8598-71a61bc8cfb3
> I don't consider that as particularly hard!
Sorry, I should have been clearer - I found the Musicbrainz page - I just
can't find a Linked Data URI on it.
> On a side-note, there are at least three interlinkage systems I know
> of (Georgi's, LinkedMDB's and mine). Most dataset provide a SPARQL
> end-point allowing to make such specific-dataset-to-specific dataset
> linkage easy enough. Having a SPARQL interface makes interlinking
> *much* more reliable, because you know exactly what happens. If you
> provide me with a simple text search, I won't have any clue how your
> inner searching process works (are you retrieving all resources which
> label matches the search term? are you building an index on
> neighboring literals?), and I won't be able to draw satisfying
> interlinking conclusion.
Sorry, I just cannot accept that a SPARQL endpoint is th esort of thing that
we should be expecting new casual users to try to use, even with a query
builder.
And I am not even sure I accept the "more reliable" argument.
When I search for a string I get back a resolvable URI, which leads me to
exactly the information I need to know to decide if I have the right one (or
it should).
And even for a SPARQL query you have no more idea how I built the knowledge
than a resolvable URI.
And in any case, any SPARQL query to search for text on a decent KB such as
dbpedia will time out.

> Best,
And you!

On 07/02/2009 15:18, "Georgi Kobilarov" <georgi.kobilarov@gmx.de> wrote:
> oh, it was my laziness that kept me from announcing it publically yet,
> but since Hugh is complaining about the lack of URI search functionality
> in DBpedia, here it is:
>
> http://lookup.dbpedia.org
Yay!
> and you can test the auto-complete style search at
> http://lookup.dbpedia.org/autocomplete.aspx
Oh joy!
And I am sure you feel even more encouraged now.
I am hoping that as you develop it you will put the LD URI more obviously on
the page, so I can see it more easily.

On 07/02/2009 15:19, "Michael Hausenblas" <michael.hausenblas@deri.org>
wrote:
> Experience (in the realm of linked data applications) tells that it is quite
> always the case that you start in a 'non-semantic' space. This might be a
> keyword, a melody in your head or a still image on a Web site. So, let me
> try to generalise and rephrase (one of) Hugh's questions (I'm sure he will
> tell me if I've done wrong ;) ...
>
> How can one enter the 'semantic space' (where RDF, etc. Rules) given a
> keyword, a concept, an image, etc.?
Thanks - much better put than I managed.
I think of things as a commutative diagram (
http://dbpedia.org/resource/Commutative_diagram found from
lookup.dbpedia.org):
I would like to do something in the Web of Text, but can't.
So I project into the Web of Data, do it in the Web of Data, and then
project (inject even?) back into the Web of Text.

> Cheers,
Cheers