Re: Creating JSON from RDF

From: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 23:17:25 +0100
To: Richard Light <richard@light.demon.co.uk>
Cc: "Hammond, Tony" <t.hammond@nature.com>, Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>, public-lod@w3.org, Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@webbackplane.com>, John Sheridan <John.Sheridan@nationalarchives.gsi.gov.uk>
2009/12/14 Richard Light <richard@light.demon.co.uk>:
> In message <C74BADC3.20683%t.hammond@nature.com>, "Hammond, Tony"
> <t.hammond@nature.com> writes
>>
>> Normal developers will always want simple.
>
> Surely what normal developers actually want are simple commands whereby data
> can be streamed in, and become available programmatically within their
> chosen development environment, without any further effort on their part?

To my mind that's very well put. But I would argue against that a
cost/benefit case - ok, it's programming hell, but it doubles your
salary - would any of us complain?

> Personally I don't see how providing a format which is easier for humans to
> read helps to achieve this.  Do normal developers like writing text parsers
> so much?

I don't know about you, but anything that helps avoiding writing
parsers is honey to me.

> Give 'em RDF and tell them to develop better toolsets ...

Why not?

> Come to that, RDF-to-JSON conversion could be a downstream service that
> someone else offers.  You don't have to do it all.

I am a bit annoyed we haven't got much pluggability between systems
yet, but strongly believe this is the right track.

Cheers,
Danny.

--
http://danny.ayers.name