Re: Creating JSON from RDF

From: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 22:28:00 +0000
To: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Cc: public-lod@w3.org, Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@webbackplane.com>, John Sheridan <John.Sheridan@nationalarchives.gsi.gov.uk>
On Sat, 2009-12-12 at 21:42 +0000, Jeni Tennison wrote:
> To put this in context, what I think we should aim for is a pure
> publishing format that is optimised for approachability for normal
> developers, *not* an interchange format. RDF/JSON [1] and the SPARQL
> results JSON format [2] aren't entirely satisfactory as far as I'm
> concerned because of the way the objects of statements are represented
> as JSON objects rather than as simple values.

jsonGRDDL <http://buzzword.org.uk/2008/jsonGRDDL/spec> provides a method
of mapping from more human-friendly JSON formats to RDF/JSON. (Much like
GRDDL does mapping XML to RDF/XML.) Essentially you want the inverse.

It seems to me that for a format to be very human-friendly, it helps for
it to be fairly domain-specific. For example, if you know you're
modelling people, then it makes sense to have the "sex" property as a
single value, but telephone number, e-mail address, and perhaps even
name might be arrays.

With a deep enough OWL ontology (so that it can be figured out which
properties are singular and plural), I suppose you could get software to
do a reasonably good job creating these human-friendly formats from RDF
data.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>