Re: [pedantic-web] Re: quick advice on content negotiation

Ted Thibodeau Jr wrote:

> On Dec 8, 2009, at 11:52 AM, Toby Inkster wrote:
>> An important question not answered in your message is: what is the URI
>> <http://example.org/user/23> supposed to identify?
>>
>> If it identifies a particular person, then this behavious semantically
>> problematic. Why? Because a web server should never respond "200 OK"
>> to a request for a URI identifying a person, unless it intends to
>> physically chop the person up and pass him/her down the wire to the
>> receiving user agent.
>>
>> If the URI <http://example.org/user/23> is supposed to identify,
>> say, a person's profile, and you have a different URI to represent
>> the person themselves (e.g. <http://example.org/user/23#me>) then
>> the connection negotiation setup you describe is fine.
>

> I don't agree.
>
> What is the MIME type for a person?
>
> 200 OK is tied to a combination of URI *and* Accept: (and other)
> headers.  Not just the URI.
>
> I can absolutely GET the URI for you, the person, with a 200 OK
> response -- *if* I have requested an available and transmissable
> *representation* of that URI.  (And the response should include
> headers explicitly describing which representation I'm GETting.)

so are we saying here that when a URI is for a Real World Object it
should always have a #hash in the identifier; and if it doesn't then you
can never return a 200 OK response on the data?

from the original document by Tim Berners-Lee, under the 3 points:
3: When someone looks up a URI, provide useful information, using the
standards (RDF, SPARQL)

pretty much says to me that the response to a GET on an HTTP URI should
return RDF data describing said thing represented by the URI, not the
"thing".. isn't that the difference between a HTTP URI as an Identifier
and an HTTP URL as.. well the url of digital thing like an html document
or an image or suchlike?

regards,